About Me

My photo
After 20 years of proudly wearing my white collar, after ingesting dozens of business success book, after encountering hundreds, if not thousands, of folks like me, stuck somewhere in Cubeland, positioned somewhere on the ladder that spans failure and success, I discovered that the book I really needed hadn’t been written, a book that was honest, funny, and poked well-deserved fun at everything that is life in a corporate world. So, I wrote that book and called it White Collar Warrior.

Sunday, May 23, 2004

A Project's Last Wishes

The best time to think of new ideas is not near the end of a project, but at the beginning. I hold that truth to be self-evident. I'm pretty sure most business people would.

But HB (the Humming Bird), works with a different kind of logic. In her view, in the last days (even hours) before a project's deadline, that's when you want to try and cram as many ideas into the plan as possible. Once something is complete, that's it; you can't change it. It's dead, to her at least. (Most sane people look at the end of a project as a birth. To her, its almost a time of mourning.)

Because of her unique view of project management, she tries to show a project a good time before it dies the death of completion. The same way a man notified he has a day to live will spend his last hours sky diving, trying to sleep with a super model, and writing a novel, the HB will try to give a 95-percent-complete project three new features, a new marketing plan and perhaps a complete floor-to-ground re-design.

This drives me bat shit. I try to breath deeply and enter the Zen zone. I try to let her madness wash through me. I even try to get some of what she wants done, with mixed success at best. Sometimes, I actually can squeeze a little more into a product, though never everything. And sometimes I just plan can't do anything.

And that's the bit that makes me go insane, I hate saying I can't do something. I hate that months of good work, work that I want my goddamn pat on the back for, becomes tarnished because the litany of ideas she has at the end aren't somehow miraculously materialized.

Do yourself and your employees a big favor. Cram all the ideas into a project at the start. Be aggressive. Ask for too much. Go crazy. It's amazing how much you can accomplish if you push yourself 6 to 12 months before a deadline.

But at the end of a project, when most of it is at the printer and clients are waiting for it and advertising is hitting, just finish it. Finish it well. But finish it.

No comments: