About Me

My photo
After 20 years of proudly wearing my white collar, after ingesting dozens of business success book, after encountering hundreds, if not thousands, of folks like me, stuck somewhere in Cubeland, positioned somewhere on the ladder that spans failure and success, I discovered that the book I really needed hadn’t been written, a book that was honest, funny, and poked well-deserved fun at everything that is life in a corporate world. So, I wrote that book and called it White Collar Warrior.

Sunday, May 16, 2004

All about the white collar warrior

I work for a big, successful corporation with a healthy stock price and no end of evil chaos happening within its glass walls. I am, as so many if us are, a white collar warrior.

As a mid-level manager, a soldier engaged in trench warfare on the front lines of the American economy, I fight for survival everyday. I fight for my company's survival against absolutely brutal competition.

And I fight for my survival, struggling to keep the hellish, soul-sucking job that pays me pretty well, keeps the mortgage up-to-date and the wife supplied with god-knows-what from Home Depot and Pier One.

I battle my bosses, my boss's bosses, the peers in my department, my peers in other departments, contractors, customers, and the poor few who have to answer to me. I have a winning record, for if I didn't I wouldn't be employed. I'd say I win my battles about 60% of the time, which seems to be a solid record in the game of corporate hard ball.

So, what I see this blog as is a way to vent a bit, maybe give myself some perspective by looking at the job with the cold, objective eye of a journalist. And if there are other white collar warriors out there who see something of themselves in my tales of woe, then that's a decent bonus.

It's Sunday night. Tomorrow at 8 a.m., the battle begins again.

No comments: